Due to its great efficiency in the treatment of many conditions and diseases, harmlessness for the patient and the small number of contraindications, the electromagnetic field is becoming a very popular form of physical therapy, and magnetotherapy is becoming a new, important area of physical therapy.
Magnetotherapy is divided into:
- Magnetotherapy using constant magnets and
- electromagnetic field therapy
I Therapeutic use of constant magnets
It implies the application of: 1) magnetic plates, as a type of reflexology, for stimulation of biologically active points, and 2) horseshoe magnet, as a type of local therapy in the treatment of various conditions and diseases in the field of traumatology and rheumatology.
II Electromagnetic field therapy
Today, the term magnetotherapy almost exclusively means the application of the electromagnetic field in treatment.
Electromagnetic fields cause bioelectric motions in living organisms, and the consequences are the presence of ferromagnetic substances. The movement of ions inside and intracellularly and the movement of the cell membrane is enabled, causing hyperpolarization at the North Pole and hypopolarization at the South Pole.
- cell membrane during the pulsations of the magnetic field, becomes periodically permeable and thus without the consumption of energy potentials there is a change in nutrients which allows better trophism of each cell
- there is an improvement in the diffusion of oxygen into the cell and an increase in the partial pressure of oxygen by up to 200%
- Increased production of high-energy phosphate compounds occurs in mitochondria with a measurable increase in ATP.
Secondary biological effects: vasodilation, reduction of blood viscosity, improvement of blood rheological properties, improvement of the body's immune system, direct stimulation of endocrine functions or indirect through the CNS, antiedematous, analgesic, sedative, etc.
Due to its great efficiency in the treatment of many conditions and diseases, harmlessness for the patient and the small number of contraindications, the electromagnetic field is becoming a very popular type of physical therapy, and magnetotherapy is becoming a new, important area of physical therapy.